Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility

Essential Insurance Types for California Nonprofits

January 30, 2024

Navigating the insurance needs for a nonprofit organization in California can be a complex task, with various risks and liabilities to consider. CalNonprofits Insurance Services stands out in this landscape, providing a streamlined and comprehensive service by comparing rates with over 100 different carriers. This helps ensure that your nonprofit finds the right insurance solution tailored to your specific needs.

1. General Liability Insurance:

• This is foundational insurance for any nonprofit, covering a wide range of incidents from personal injury to property damage. It's essential for protecting your organization against common accidents or injuries that might occur on your premises.

2. Professional Liability Insurance:

• Also known as Errors and Omissions Insurance, this is crucial for nonprofits offering professional services. It protects your organization and the professionals you employ from claims due to errors or omissions in the services provided.

3. Directors & Officers (D&O) Insurance:

• D&O insurance is indispensable for protecting the personal assets of your nonprofit's board members and officers against claims resulting from decisions they make in their official capacities.

4. Workers' Compensation Insurance:

• This insurance is mandatory in California if your nonprofit has employees. It covers medical costs and disability benefits if an employee is injured or becomes ill due to their job.

5. Cyber Liability Insurance:

• In our digital age, protecting sensitive data is crucial. Cyber Liability Insurance helps cover the costs associated with data breaches, including fines, identity theft losses, and credit monitoring.

6. Property Insurance:

• Whether you own or lease your space, property insurance is essential for covering damages to your property from events like fire, theft, or natural disasters.

7. Sexual Misconduct Liability Insurance:

• This coverage is vital for protecting your nonprofit against claims related to abuse or lack of supervision that results in abuse or molestation.

8. Automobile Insurance:

• If your staff or volunteers use a vehicle for nonprofit activities, automobile insurance is essential to protect your organization in case of accidents.

According to the Nonprofits Insurance Alliance Group, 90% of claims against nonprofits are from accidents and injuries related to automobiles or slips, trips, and falls at nonprofit locations and special events. These claims account for about 65% of the dollars paid out in claims, while the remaining 35% of dollars paid are due to potential misconduct, including improper employment practices, professional errors and omissions, and sexual abuse/molestation.


Navigating the maze of insurance options and ensuring that your nonprofit in California is adequately protected can be daunting. CalNonprofits Insurance Services simplifies this process by offering a trusted partnership, leveraging their access to a broad network of carriers to secure the most fitting and cost-effective insurance solutions for your organization. As you aim to safeguard your nonprofit's mission and operations, remember that the right insurance coverage is not just a regulatory requirement; it's a strategic move towards sustainability and resilience. Are you ready to empower your nonprofit with the right protection today?


• NPCrowd: Nonprofit Insurance 101

• Insureon: Nonprofit Insurance, 501(c)(3) Organization Insurance

• Donorbox: 8 Types of Insurance That Nonprofits Can Buy | A Quick Guide

• CSIPins: What Type of Insurance Does a Nonprofit Organization Need?

Recent Blog Posts

Read, Learn, Share